Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Prayer for Wisdom


"Who ever knew Your counsel, except You had given Wisdom and sent Your Holy Spirit from on high?" —Wisdom 9:17

"Give me Wisdom, the attendant at Your throne" (9:4). "Send her forth from Your holy heavens and from Your glorious throne dispatch her that she may be with me and work with me, that I may know what is Your pleasure" (9:10).
Prayer: Father, may I never settle for anything less than Your will.
Promise: "Now with You is Wisdom, who knows Your works and was present when You made the world; who understands what is pleasing in Your eyes and what is conformable with Your commands." —9:9

It's at times like this that Christians pray special prayers asking for Christian wisdom, direction and safekeeping. The following sample prayer is for people who find themselves at a crossroads in life when they are uncertain about their future:
"Provider of all that I need, today I stand at an intersection and don't know if You are urging me right, left, or straight ahead. I know You hold the reins, and it is by faith that You are leading me, but sometimes it is difficult to be sure of the way.
"How can I serve you best? What do you want of me? I am alone, a small, weak human, devoted to fulfilling my calling, my mission to serve you, but where and in what way am I to accomplish this? It seems like I fail in every endeavor I undertake. I am beginning to fear moving forward in any direction.
"Give me Your vision, Your perspective at this critical point. Make Your call so clear that I step off in the correct direction with assurance and confidence in your strong leading. Whether it be where I live, what I do, or even the timing of my plans, generate within me an unwavering attitude of surety based on the authority of divine direction.
"If the way is rough, remind me to focus on You rather than the road. If I struggle to keep up the pace You set, let me find my rest in You. If my impatience inspires me to run ahead, with Your gentle touch urge me to be steady and patient. Oh, God, if I lose heart, sweeten my path with encouragement. Put a song in my heart that eases my efforts.
"Your Word tells me that there is a time for everything. In this season of decisions, grant me clarity of mind and a conviction that what I do is for Your purpose as I remember that the direction is not as important as the way I conduct myself. Always let my spirit rejoice and be thankful as I serve You in all that I say and do.
"I ask these things in the name of the One Who always chose well. Amen."

No comments:

Seek His Face

Seek His Face